Wednesday, April 09, 2014

 

Thursday, Fifth Week of Lent

April 10, 2014
Thursday, Fifth Week of Lent 

Gen 17: 3-9/ Ps 105: 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 / Jn 8: 51-59

Reading: Gen 17:3-9
Abram fell face down and God said to him, "This is my covenant with you: you will be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer will you be called Abram, but Abraham, because I will make you the father of a multitude of nations. I will make you more and more famous; I will multiply your descendants; nations shall spring from you, kings shall be among your descendants. And I will establish a covenant, an everlasting covenant between myself and you and your descendants after you; from now on I will be your God and the God of your descendants after you, for generations to come. I will give to you and your descendants after you the land you are living in, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession and I will be the God of your race." God said to Abraham, "For your part, you shall keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you, generation after generation.   

Gospel: John 8: 51-59
Truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never experience death." The Jews replied, "Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died and the prophets as well, but you say: 'Whoever keeps my word will never experience death.' Who do you claim to be? Do you claim to be greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets also died." Then Jesus said, "If I were to praise myself, it would count for nothing. But he who gives glory to me is the Father, the very one you claim as your God, although you don't know him. I know him and if I were to say that I don't know him, I would be a liar like you. But I know him and I keep his word. As for Abraham, your ancestor, he looked forward to the day when I would come; and he rejoiced when he saw it." The Jews then said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?" And Jesus said "Truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." They then picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.

Reflection:
     Death may be inevitable to all but in the Gospel today Jesus says that for those who keep his word they will not experience death.  How is this possible when in truth no one escapes death? The Jews could not understand him.  What death is Jesus talking about? Is it possible to live forever?  Actually, Jesus was not talking about physical death. He meant that a life lived in him will bring one to eternal life. Jesus' word is life giving. This means that if we keep his word and live it, we bring out the "shine of Jesus" in us. Therefore, we are alive when others see more of "Jesus" and less of us. As we experience more of the life that Jesus has shown us, we will come closer to the life everlasting that all of us are hoping for. Sin, on the other hand, means death because it opposes Jesus, the Light. It operates in the darkness of evil and does not give light.
     Let us allow the Light of Jesus to give us life. Live Jesus because he is the Resurrection and the Life!  Something to ponder about today: we are made to live a life in preparation for what is eternal and reserved for all those who love God and do His will.

Prayer Requests:
We pray ...
... for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the unborn
... for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary
... for families who are in need of healing
... for world peace and reconciliation
... for personal intentions
     * Robert Dy

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************
These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only. Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends, colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the following:

   +================================================+
   |  The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
   |  priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
   |            http://www.marythequeen.org
   |  Distributed free and for personal use only. 
  +================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
Archive: http://biblereflection.blogspot.com/
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
 
© 2014 Daily-Homily
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DAILY-HOMILY" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to daily_homily+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?