Sunday, July 23, 2006
Monday 16th Week in Ordinary Time
July 24, 2006
Monday 16th Week in Ordinary Time - Yr II
MICAH 6:1-4, 6-8
Hear what the LORD says: Arise, present your plea before the mountains,
and let the hills hear your voice! Hear, O mountains, the plea of the
LORD, pay attention, O foundations of the earth! For the LORD has a
plea against his people, and he enters into trial with Israel. O my
people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me!
For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery
I released you; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. With
what shall I come before the LORD, and bow before God most high? Shall
I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will
the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with myriad streams of oil?
Shall I give my first-born for my crime, the fruit of my body for the
sin of my soul? You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the
LORD requires of you: Only to do the right and to love goodness, and to
walk humbly with your God.
Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus, "Teacher, we wish to
see a sign from you." He said to them in reply, "An evil and unfaithful
generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign
of Jonah the prophet. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three
days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the
earth three days and three nights. At the judgment, the men of Nineveh
will arise with this generation and condemn it, because they repented
at the preaching of Jonah; and there is something greater than Jonah
here. At the judgment the queen of the south will arise with this
generation and condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth
to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and there is something greater than
Jesus says to the Pharisees that the people of Nineva heard God in
Jonah's preaching and repented. The Queen of Sheba saw God's wisdom in
Solomon and traveled all the way to Jerusalem to do him homage. The
Pharisees saw the wonder of Jesus' miracles and heard the wisdom of his
teaching, and yet failed to recognize God speaking in him.
The Pharisees wanted the Messiah. But the Messiah they wanted was not
the type of Messiah Jesus intended to be. They heard Jesus talking
about the primacy of service to others, about suffering and turning the
other cheek; and they heard him criticizing their approach to religion.
This was not the kind of Messiah they wanted. So they blinded
themselves to what God was writing in clear bold lines in Jesus.
We may be blinding ourselves to the reality. Not just the material
reality in front of us, but the spiritual reality also of God in the
form of suffering of our neighbors. Like the three little monkeys, we
cover our eyes, and stop our ears and seal our lips. These evils,
therefore, do not exist for us nor does the voice of God reproving us.
Jesus said that on the Day of Judgment the people of Nineva and the
Queen of Sheba will rise up and condemn his generation.
When the people of Nineva and the Queen of Sheba rise up on the last
day, will they condemn our generation as well?
We pray ...
- for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the unborn.
- for the personal intentions of Mima.
- for the eternal repose of the souls of Alfonso, Alfonsa, Jovita,
Isidora, Maria and Candido. Eternal rest grant unto them and may
perpetual light shine upon them. May they and all the souls of the
dearly departed rest in peace.
- for the eternal repose of the soul of Elizabeth Campanaro.
Eternal rest grant unto her and may perpetual light shine upon her.
May she and all the souls of the dearly departed rest in peace.
- for the continued and complete healing of Ding Vidanes and her
- for the speedy recovery of Lourdes Barayoga
- for the speedy recovery of Glenn Bisco
- for the speedy recovery of Charlies Castro
- for the speedy recovery of Vanessa Salcedo
- for the personal intentions and speedy recovery of Sandra & Pat
- for the personal intentions of Pat and Linda Manzon.
- for the personal intentions of Domingo Barayoga, Jr.
- for the personal intentions of Glenn and Julie Manzon
- for the personal intentions of Estellita and Buddy
- for the personal intentions of Ma. Fe & Tootsie De Castro
- for the personal intentions of Glenda & Joel Bisco
- for the personal intentions of Churchill & Echo Barayoga
- for the personal intentions of Mary Ann and Charlie Castro
- for the eternal repose of the souls of Domingo Barayoga Sr.
Eternal rest grant unto them and may perpetual light shine upon
them. May they and all the souls of the dearly departed rest in peace.
- for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- for world peace and reconciliation.
Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our
prayers and for those who need our prayers the most.
Have a good day!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DAILY-HOMILY" group.
To subscribe email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Daily_Homilyemail@example.com
For more options, visit: http://homily.dailyfoodforthought.org/
Feel free to forward this to your frie nds, family and associates!
� 2006 Daily-Homily