Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Wednesday 5th Week of Easter
May 17, 2006
Wednesday 5th Week of Easter - Yr II
Some who had come down from Judea were instructing the brothers,
"Unless you are circumcised according to the Mosaic practice, you
cannot be saved." Because there arose no little dissension and debate
by Paul and Barnabas with them, it was decided that Paul, Barnabas, and
some of the others should go up to Jerusalem to the Apostles and
presbyters about this question. They were sent on their journey by the
Church, and passed through Phoenicia and Samaria telling of the
conversion of the Gentiles, and brought great joy to all the brethren.
When they arrived in Jerusalem, they were welcomed by the Church, as
well as by the Apostles and the presbyters, and they reported what God
had done with them. But some from the party of the Pharisees who had
become believers stood up and said, "It is necessary to circumcise them
and direct them to observe the Mosaic law." The Apostles and the
presbyters met together to see about this matter.
Jesus said to his disciples: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the
vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit,
and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are
already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me,
as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own
unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in
me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in
him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone
who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither;
people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be
burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for
whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father
glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples."
Today's Gospel has a very mystical tone to it. The reality that Christ
is describing - the oneness of the Christian with Christ, the Christian
living in Christ - is a mystical reality, which we can neither fully
describe nor explain. Christ has revealed to us the fact of our
mystical oneness with him. And with this metaphor, he tries to give us
some insights into what that oneness involves.
In a wondrous manner, while maintaining his individuality and his
personal identity, the Christian remains one with Christ, as the branch
is one with the vine; the Christian lives in Christ, has his being in
Christ, as the branch lives and has its being in the vine. When the
branch produces fruit, it is the vine that is fruitful. So also when
the Christian acts, by some mysterious alchemy of divine Providence, it
is, in reality, Christ who is acting. And as the branch cannot bear
fruit if it is not in the vine, the Christian can bear no fruit unless
he is in Christ.
But these are all merely empty words. We should not approach a reality
of the life of the Christian in Christ, by way of intellect and reason.
We are reminded to go to prayer in the hope that doing so, God will
give us the grace to intuitively comprehend this mystery.
We pray ...
- for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the unborn.
- for the speedy recovery of Aida.
- for the eternal repose of the soul of Loida Jimenez. Eternal rest
grant unto her and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she and
all the souls of the dearly departed rest in peace.
- for the spiritual enlightenment of Armando, Bituin, Tim & Leah
- good health for Nora & Teresita
- For the complete healing of Greg
- good health for Elsa & Paolo
- for the personal intentions of Domingo Alfonso & Family
- Birthday : Allan Alfonso
- Birthday : Romeo Alfonso
- for the eternal repose of the soul of Cristina, Rosvie & Aljohn.
Eternal rest grant unto them and may perpetual light shine upon
them. May they and all the souls of the dearly departed rest in peace.
- for complete healing of Alyssa.
- In Thanksgiving: Bro. Nanding Balingit
- for the healing of Ding Vidanes, Rita delos Reyes and Jose delos
- for the personal intentions of the delos Reyes clan.
- good health to Alex and Yoly Legaspi and Mila San Juan.
- for the personal intentions of Susan & Ding.
- for the speedy recovery of Cadio Perreras.
- for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Dionisio Chua Kang Hay
- Prayer Intention: Dionisio Lim Yu
- Prayer Intention: Wesley Panutat
- Wedding Anniversary: Henry & Karen Uy
- Wedding Anniversary: Mr. & Mrs. Simon Ong
- Wedding Anniversary: Celestina & Dionisio L. Yu.
- for the personal intentions of Audie Cabrera.
- for world peace and reconciliation.
Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our
prayers and for those who need our prayers the most.
Have a good day!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DAILY-HOMILY" group.
To subscribe email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Daily_Homilyemail@example.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Daily_Homily
Feel free to forward this to your frie nds, family and associates!
� 2006 Daily-Homily