Monday, August 20, 2012

 

TUESDAY 20TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME – YEAR II

AUGUST 21, 2012
TUESDAY 20TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME – YEAR II
MEMORIAL, ST PIUS X

Ez 28:1-10 / Mt 19:23-30

EZEKIEL 28:1-10
The word of Yahweh came to me in these terms, "Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre: You are very proud and self-satisfied: `I am a god, I sit like a god in the heart of the sea.' Yet you are man and not a god; would you hold yourself as wise as God? You consider yourself wiser than Daniel; no secret is hidden from you. Your wisdom and know-how have earned you a fortune, gold and silver flowed to your treasury. Clever in trade, you became wealthy and as your fortune increased, your heart became prouder. But now Yahweh has spoken to you, to the one who is like God: I am bringing foreigners against you, the most feared of all the nations. Their sword will challenge your wisdom and debase your refined culture. They will bring you down to the pit and you will die in the depths of the sea. Will you be able to say `I am a god' when your murderers are killing you? You are a man and not a god. You will die the death of the uncircumcised and perish at the hands of aliens, for I have spoken—word of Yahweh."

MATTHEW 19:23-30
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly I say to you: it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Yes, believe me: it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven." On hearing this, the disciples were astonished and said, "Who, then, can be saved?" Jesus looked steadily at them and answered, "For human beings it is impossible, but for God all things are possible." Then Peter spoke up and said, "You see we have given up everything to follow you. What will be our lot?" Jesus answered, "You who have followed me, listen to my words: on the Day of Renewal, when the Son of Man sits on his throne in glory, you also will sit on twelve thrones to judge the twelve tribes of Israel. As for those who have left houses, brothers, sisters, father, mother, children or property for my Name's sake, they will receive a hundredfold, and be given eternal life. Many who are now first will be last, and many who are now last will be first.

REFLECTION
Jesus is clearly cautious about wealth, wary of people becoming slaves to their material possessions. Many times people will do anything just to keep their earthly treasures, or amass even bigger fortunes. They forget about integrity, generosity, and forgiveness. In some cases, one missionary wrote, "Wealth can make us falsely independent." Since people who are materially wealthy have everything they physically need, sometimes they leave little room in their lives for the Lord.

If we want to enter God's Kingdom, Jesus tells us that we need to be humble, and that the Lord should be the center of our lives. He must come first.

"O Lord, my God, teach my heart where and how to seek You.
Teach my heart where and how to find You.
You are my God and my Lord and I've never seen You.
You've made me and remade me and bestowed on me all the good things I have.
And still I do not know You.
I have not done that for which I was made.

O Lord, my God, teach my heart where and how to seek You.
Teach my heart where and how to find You,
for I cannot see You unless You teach me,
or find You unless You show Yourself to me.
Let me seek You in my desire. Let me desire You in my seeking.
Let me find You by my loving You now.
Let me love You when I find You.
Teach me, Lord. Teach my heart where and how to find You."

–Teach My Heart, Bukas Palad

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Fr. Ismael Zuloaga, SJ
- Kathy
- Eriberta Calvario
- Cipriano Maribojoc
- Totoy Reyes
- Elean Flores
- Mon Torres
- Fleur Torres
… Birthday: Mary Jane Billanes
… for the personal intentions of
- Maria Liza Maribojoc-Espinoza
- Beny Chua
- Binu Antony
… In Memoriam: Boyet Balilla
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Justin Peter Lim
- Birthday: Bryan L. Lim
- Birthday: Johnny Go, S.J.
- In Memoriam (+): Carmen Tan Sio Ty Ngo (1932-1977)+
… for families who are in need of healing
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only. Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends, colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
 
© 2012 Daily-Homily

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?