Thursday, January 19, 2012

 

MEMORIAL, SAINT FABIAN; SAINT SEBASTIAN

JANUARY 20, 2012
MEMORIAL, SAINT FABIAN; SAINT SEBASTIAN
FRIDAY 2ND WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME – YEAR II

1 Sm 24:3-21 / Mk 3:13-19

1 SAMUEL 24:3-21
So Saul took three thousand picked men from all Israel and went in
search of David and his men to the east of the Wild Goat crags. When
he came to the sheepfolds along the way, he entered a cave to relieve
himself. Now David and his men were far back in the cave. David's men
said to him, "This is the day which Yahweh spoke of: look I will
deliver your enemy into your hands and you will do with him as you see
fit." So David moved up and stealthily cut off an end of Saul's robe.
But afterward, David regretted having cut off an end of Saul's robe,
and he said to his men, "Let me not lay my hands on my master, for he
is Yahweh's anointed." With these words, David restrained his men and
did not allow them to attack Saul. Saul then left the cave and went on
his way. Then David himself stepped out of the cave and called after
Saul, "My master, the king!" When Saul looked back, David knelt and
then bowed to the ground in homage and asked him, "Why do you listen
to those who say that I want to harm you? Look, today you have seen
that Yahweh delivered you into my hands in the cave, and I was told to
kill you but I held myself back and I said: `I will not lift my hands
against my master who is Yahweh's anointed.' My father, look at this
end of your robe which I am holding! I cut off the end of your robe
but did not kill you. Now you may know that I mean you no harm or
treason. I have done you no wrong and yet you are hunting me down to
kill me. May Yahweh be judge between you and me and may he exact
justice from you in my case, but I shall do you no harm. As the saying
goes, `From the wicked comes wickedness'; as for me, my hand shall not
harm you. But who is it you are after, O king of Israel? Are you
pursuing a dead dog? A flea? May Yahweh be judge between you and me.
May he see and uphold my cause and deliver me from your hands." After
David had spoken these words, Saul asked, "Is that your voice, my son
David?" He wept aloud and said to David, "You are right and I am
wrong, for you have repaid with kindness the harm I have inflicted on
you. This day you have shown your righteousness to me by not taking my
life when Yahweh put me into your hands. For if a man finds his enemy,
will he let him go unharmed? May Yahweh reward you for what you have
done for me today. Now I know for certain that you shall reign and the
kingdom of Israel will be firm in your hand.

MARK 3:13-19
Then Jesus went up into the hill country, and called those he wanted,
and they came to him. He appointed twelve to be with him, and he
called them `apostles'. He wanted to send them out to preach, and he
gave them authority to drive out demons. These are the Twelve: Simon,
to whom he gave the name Peter; James, son of Zebedee, and John his
brother, to whom he gave the name Boanerges, which means `men of
thunder'; Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of
Alpheus, Thaddeus, Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot, the one who
betrayed him.

REFLECTION
Today is the feast of two martyrs: St. Fabian, a pope, and St.
Sebastian, a soldier. Fabian went to Rome to grieve for the pope who
died and to wait for the new one. During the papal election, in the
presence of important people, a dove suddenly descended and settled on
Fabian - like the descent of the Holy Spirit during Christ's Baptism.
He was then proclaimed the new pope. He was the first layman to be
elected pope. During his papacy the persecuted Church experienced a
time of peace. But many Christians became settled and soft, and in the
face of the new persecution brought by the new emperor Decius, many
renounced their faith. Pope Fabian became a courageous example for his
flock, and died a martyr in the year 250. His epitaph in the catacomb
was simply "Fabian, bishop, martyr."

St. Sebastian was born in Narbonne, Gaul (France). He became a soldier
in 283 and a captain to both Emperors Diocletian and Maximian. He was
a model soldier but neither emperor knew he was a Christian. When he
was discovered, Emperor Maximian ordered his execution through arrows.
But Sebastian survived, and after being nursed back to health, he
denounced the emperor for his cruelty toward the Christians. The
emperor had him beaten to death.

Both Fabian and Sebastian were appointed by Christ to proclaim the
good news through martyrdom. Conflicts or sufferings should not deter
us from being witnesses of Christ.

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Mon Torres
- Rakkie Villa
- Luke Esteban
- Chief Samrose Anyaugo
- Fr. Jonathan, Chris
- Tung-Jou Sheh
- Cecilia Yu
… for the personal intentions of
- Dr. Ugo Anyaugo, Mr. Ogechi Anyaugo, Barr Obinna Okoronkwo, Barr Mrs
Barbs Adaugo Okoronkwo, Mr .Ifeanyi Anyaugo, Mr Chuboy Anyaugo,
Cordelia Anyaugo Kelechi Ozurumba
- Angelo and Lucy
... Birthday: Ramona
… for the eternal repose of the souls of Annalie. Eternal rest grant
unto them and may perpetual light shine upon them. May they and all
the dearly departed rest in peace.
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Ruby Almazan
- Birthday: Mary Rose Anne Almazan
- Wedding Anniversary: Wilfred & Sally Lim
- Wedding Anniversary: Hilton & Rosana Chua Fong
- Wedding Anniversary: Oscar & Heidi Temporal
- In Memoriam (+): Remedios A. Jose
- In Memoriam (+): Lino H. Habacon
- In Memoriam (+): Lourdes Borja Reyes
… for families who are in need of healing
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only.
Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends,
colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the
following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2012 Daily-Homily


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?