Monday, November 21, 2011

 

SOLEMNITY OF CHRIST THE KING - A

NOVEMBER 20, 2011
SOLEMNITY OF CHRIST THE KING - A

Ez 34:11-12, 15-17 / Ps 23:1-2, 2-3, 5, 6 / 1 Cor 15:20-26, 28 / Mt
25:31-46

EZEKIEL 34:11-12, 15-17
Indeed Yahweh says this: I myself will care for my sheep and watch
over them. As the shepherd looks after his flock when he finds them
scattered, so will I watch over my sheep and gather them from all the
places where they were scattered in a time of cloud and fog. I myself
will tend my sheep and let them rest, word of Yahweh. I will search
for the lost and lead back the strays. I will bind up the injured and
strengthen the weak, but the fat and strong will be eliminated. I will
shepherd my flock with justice. As for you, my flock—says Yahweh—I
will distinguish between one sheep and another, and set apart rams and
goats.

1 CORINTHIANS 15:20–26, 28
Brothers and sisters, Christ has been raised from the dead and he
comes before all those who have fallen asleep. A human being brought
death; a human being also brings resurrection of the dead. All die for
being Adam's, and in Christ all will receive life. However, each one
in his own time: first Christ, then Christ's people, when he comes.
Then the end will come, when Christ delivers the kingdom to God the
Father, after having destroyed every rule, authority and power. For he
must reign and put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be
destroyed will be death. When the Father has subjected everything to
him, the Son will place himself under the One who subjected everything
to him. From then on, God will be all in all.

MATTHEW 25:31-46
Jesus said to his disciples, "When the Son of Man comes in his glory
with all his angels, he will sit on the throne of his Glory. All the
nations will be brought before him, and as a shepherd separates the
sheep from the goats, so will he do with them, placing the sheep on
his right and the goats on his left. "The King will say to those on
his right: `Come, blessed of my Father! Take possession of the kingdom
prepared for you from the beginning of the world. For I was hungry and
you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and
you welcomed me into your house. I was naked and you clothed me. I was
sick and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to see me.'
"Then the good people will ask him: `Lord, when did we see you hungry
and give you food; thirsty and give you drink, or a stranger and
welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in
prison and go to see you?' The King will answer, `Truly, I say to you:
whenever you did this to these little ones who are my brothers and
sisters, you did it to me.' "Then he will say to those on his left:
`Go, cursed people, out of my sight into the eternal fire which has
been prepared for the devil and his angels! For I was hungry and you
did not give me anything to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing
to drink; I was a stranger and you did not welcome me into your house;
I was naked and you did not clothe me; I was sick and in prison and
you did not visit me.' They, too, will ask: `Lord, when did we see you
hungry, thirsty, naked or a stranger, sick or in prison, and did not
help you?' The King will answer them: `Truly, I say to you: whatever
you did not do for one of these little ones, you did not do for me.'
And these will go into eternal punishment, but the just to eternal
life."

REFLECTION
We have reached the end of another year in the calendar of the
Church. At the gateway between the liturgical years, the Church places
the figure of Christ the King.

Jesus is no conventional king, a person of might, power and glory, who
lords it over people and imposes his will upon them. Jesus is a king
who serves those whom he rules. That is why the first reading gives us
the figure of the shepherd, the one who watches over the flock and
protects the sheep from danger and attack.

When we were baptized, we received a share in Christ's kingship. St.
Peter tells us that baptism makes us "a chosen race, a royal
priesthood, a holy nation and a people set apart by God for his own."
As sharers in Christ's kingship, we, like him, are called to serve
people as a shepherd serves his sheep. On judgment day, we shall not
be asked the questions which so many Catholics expect to be asked
like: How often have you been to Mass, or how seldom? How many prayers
have you said? How many sins have you avoided? We shall have to answer
only one question: How much have you done for people in need – have
you done anything at all? In this context, are Sunday Mass, prayer,
and obedience to the precepts of the Church unimportant? Certainly
not. Our duty to God is vitally important. But Jesus gives us this
great parable of judgment to tell us that our duty to God is fulfilled
first by serving others.

When we help people in need, we are truly serving God. Jesus
identifies himself with those in need. He says that anything we do for
people in need, we actually do it for him. The most serious disease in
the world today is not leprosy, TB, cancer or AIDS, but the feeling of
being unwanted and uncared for. The greatest evil in the world is lack
of love, the terrible indifference towards one's fellowmen. What the
rich and the poor alike need even more than food, clothes and shelter
is to be wanted and loved.

There are so many kind things we could do for one another if we were a
lit tle more aware and sensitive to the needs of the other people. It
is not a question of doing great things, but of doing little things
with great love. Nor, in most cases, it is not a question of giving
things; rather it is a question of giving ourselves, our time, our
energy and our love in the service of others. Those who really love
their fellow men do so without show and without expecting any reward.
When we love others sincerely, in simple, practical, everyday ways, we
are truly serving Christ and helping to build his Kingdom.

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Samrose Anyaugo, Ogechi Anyaugo, Ifeanyi Anyaugo, Cordelia Anyaugo
- Jo Marcelo
- Mon Torres
- Susan
… for the successful result of the BAR examinees of Ateneo Law School
Batch 2011
… for the personal intentions of
- Anyaugo family
- Josheil Dapo
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Manny Mercado
- In Memoriam (+): Charles Kang Lim (Oct 17, 1960-Nov 20, 1997)+
… for families who are in need of healing
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only.
Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends,
colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the
following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2011 Daily-Homily


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?