Thursday, November 03, 2011

 

MEMORIAL, ST CHARLES BORROMEO, BISHOP

NOVEMBER 4, 2011
MEMORIAL, ST CHARLES BORROMEO, BISHOP
FRIDAY 31ST WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME – YEAR I

ROMANS 15:14-21
As for me, brothers and sisters, I am convinced that you have
goodwill, knowledge and the capacity to advise each other;
nevertheless I have written boldly in some parts of this letter to
remind you of what you already know. I do this according to the grace
God has given to me when I was sent to the pagan nations. I dedicated
myself to the service of the Good News of God as a minister of Christ
Jesus, in order to present the non-Jews to God as an agreeable
offering consecrated by the Holy Spirit. This service of God is for me
a cause of pride in Christ Jesus. ... I have been very careful,
however, and I am proud of this, not to preach in places where Christ
is already known, and not to build upon foundations laid by others.
Let it be as Scripture says: Those not told about him will see, and
those who have not heard will understand.

LUKE 16:1-8
Jesus told his disciples, "There was a rich man whose steward was
reported to him for fraudulent service. He summoned the steward and
asked him: `What is this I hear about you? I want you to render an
account of your service for it is about to be terminated.' "The
steward thought to himself: `What am I to do now? My master will
surely dismiss me. I am not strong enough to do hard work, and I am
ashamed to beg. I know what I will do: I must make sure that when I am
dismissed, there will be some people to welcome me into their house.'
"So he called his master's debtors one by one. He asked the first who
came: `How much do you owe my master?' The reply was: `A hundred jars
of oil.' The steward said: `Here is your bill. Sit down quickly and
write there fifty.' To the second he put the same question: `How much
do you owe?' The answer was: `A thousand bushels of wheat.' Then he
said: `Take your bill and write eighty.' "The master commended the
dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the people of this world are
more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the people of
light."

REFLECTION
In the first reading, St. Paul states very clearly that as a priest of
God, his main duty is to announce the Good News to those who have not
heard of it before. He emphasizes that this duty is the mandate Jesus
has given him. We as Christians are also called to be a priestly
people meaning that we are also called to preach the Good News as our
primary duty.

The good news is that Jesus has saved us by dying for us on the cross.
Nowadays, many people need this Good News – that for their sins,
failures, helplessness, marital problems, tragic experiences, etc.,
there is hope, for Jesus has saved us. There is hope because death is
not the end. As Christians, we must not be ashamed to spread the good
news by being good followers of Christ in whatever circumstances of
life we find ourselves in.

What does today's Gospel about a dishonest steward mean? It means that
we are all stewards since we all have received material and spiritual
graces from God. But if we use them only for our own benefit, the
master, who is God, will be displeased with us. Therefore, we must be
astute and start giving away our material possessions to help others
and in the process help ourselves. As stewards we do not claim
ownership to what we have been given. They are given to us to be
shared with others. Only then will our Master be pleased with us.

Christian stewardship isn't something you do; it's the way you live
your entire life. It is quite literally a call to renew the face of
the earth. As Fr. Andrew Kemberling of Colorado, puts it, stewardship
is "a gift from God for the conversion of a materialistic world."

Lord Jesus, teach me to be generous, to commit myself to be a good
steward of the gifts you entrusted to me, to share my time, my talent,
my material and spiritual gifts as an outward sign of the treasure I
hold in your name. Amen

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Carmela Mendoza
- Renan Lacida
- Sam Rose Anyaugo
- Candido
- Susan
… for the personal intentions of
- Titong V
- Pauline
- Bong Lacida
… In Memoriam: Raul, Epifania, Joel, Fabio, Josefina, Juan Sr.,
Conching, Trining, Ciano, Lumeng, Leoncio, Florentina, Jen-jen,
Hilario, Robert, Darwin, Fredo
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Andrew Patrick Syling
- Birthday: Marie Nightingale Keyes
- Birthday: Dr. Miguel L. Noche Jr.
- In Memoriam (+): Verona Rodrigo
… for families who are in need of healing
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only.
Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends,
colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the
following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

__._,_.___

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2011 Daily-Homily


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?