Thursday, April 07, 2011

 

THURSDAY 4TH WEEK OF LENT – YEAR I

APRIL 7, 2011
MEMORIAL, ST. JOHN BAPTIST DE LA SALLE, PRIEST
THURSDAY 4TH WEEK OF LENT – YEAR I

Ex 32:7-14 / Ps 106:19-20, 21-22, 23 / Jn 5:31-47

EXODUS 32:7-14
Then Yahweh said to Moses, "Go down at once, for your people, whom you
brought up from the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves. They
have quickly turned from the way I commanded them and have made for
themselves a molten calf; they have bowed down before it and
sacrificed to it and said: `These are your gods, Israel, who brought
you out of Egypt.'" And Yahweh said to Moses, "I see that these people
are a stiff-necked people. Now just leave me that my anger may blaze
against them. I will destroy them, but of you I will make a great
nation." But Moses calmed the anger of Yahweh, his God, and said,
"Why, O Yahweh, should your anger burst against your people whom you
brought out of the land of Egypt with such great power and with a
mighty hand? Let not the Egyptians say: `Yahweh brought them out with
evil intent, for he wanted to kill them in the mountains and wipe them
from the face of the earth.' Turn away from the heat of your anger and
do not bring disaster on your people. Remember your servants, Abraham,
Isaac and Jacob, and the promise you yourself swore: I will multiply
your descendants like the stars of heaven, and all this land I spoke
about I will give to them as an everlasting inheritance." Yahweh then
changed his mind and would not yet harm his people.

JOHN 5:31-47
Jesus said to the Jews, "If I bore witness to myself, my testimony
would be worthless. But Another One is bearing witness to me and I
know that his testimony is true when he bears witness to me. John also
bore witness to the truth when you sent messengers to him, but I do
not seek such human testimony; I recall this for you, so that you may
be saved. John was a burning and shining lamp, and for a while you
were willing to enjoy his light. But I have greater evidence than that
of John—the works which the Father entrusted to me to carry out. The
very works I do bear witness: the Father has sent me. Thus he who
bears witness to me is the Father who sent me. You search in the
Scriptures thinking that in them you will find life; yet Scripture
bears witness to me. But you refuse to come to me, that you may live.
I am not seeking human praise; but I have known that love of God is
not within you, for I have come in my Father's name and you do not
accept me. If another comes in his own name, you will accept him. As
long as you seek praise from one another instead of seeking the glory
coming from the only God, how can you believe?"

REFLECTION
In the first reading we see the Israelites journeying from Egypt. They
begin to forget the Lord's teachings given them through Moses. They
make the golden calf to worship as they seek their true liberation
from slavery.

In the Gospel we hear Jesus with his sad complaint against the Jews:
"The works the Father gave me to accomplish, you do not believe. You
do not want to come to me to have life."

All of us desire eternal life. Indeed if we do, there is but one way:
to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and to follow his teachings.
Which are of the Father. "Not they who say, "Lord, Lord, but they who
do the will of the Father will enter the kingdom of heaven".

Lent invites us to take a look at the way we live. Are there some
barriers that we have that need tearing down? Have we set ourselves as
the master to be obeyed rather we to obey the Lord? What about our
values? Do we practice brotherhood rather than lordism, companionship
and sharing rather than personal security and self-sufficiency,
forgiveness rather than anger, dialogue rather than domination,
worship instead of self-righteousness? As we discern where we are, we
pray: "Jesus, come and bring us eternal life"!

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Tessa C. Yang
- Shantell Ponce De Leon Bancaso
- Marge, Pat, Chuck, Gene, Frank, Maria, Kristin, KD, Alex
… for the personal intentions of:
- Elizabeth R. Ong - Pilones
- Andrew
- Nick
.. Birthday: Cora Uy
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: J. Ramon R. Marin
- Birthday: Andrea Dominique Yu
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only.
Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends,
colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the
following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2011 Daily-Homily


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?