Saturday, March 05, 2011

 

SATURDAY 8TH WEEK OF ORDINARY TIME – YEAR I

MARCH 5, 2011
SATURDAY 8TH WEEK OF ORDINARY TIME – YEAR I

Sir 51:12-20 / Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11 / Mk 11:27-33

SIRACH 51:12-20
That is why I will give you thanks and praise and bless the Name of
the Lord. In my youth, before I set out on my travels, I openly sought
wisdom in prayer; before the Temple I asked for her and I will pursue
her to the end of my days. While she blossomed like a ripening
cluster, my heart was delighted in her; my feet followed the right
path, because from my youth I searched for her. As soon as I began
listening to her she was given to me, and with her, much instruction.
With her help I made progress and I will glorify him who gives me
wisdom, for I decided to put it into practice and ardently seek what
is good. I shall not regret it. My soul has struggled to possess her.
I have been attentive to observe the Law, and after my faults I have
stretched out my hands to heaven and lamented my ignorance of her. My
love of her increased and I found her in repentance. It was through
her from the beginning that I learned to possess my heart. She will
not forsake me.

MARK 11:27-33
Jesus and his disciples were once again in Jerusalem. As Jesus was
walking in the Temple, the chief priests, the teachers of the Law and
the elders came to him and asked, "What authority do you have to act
like this? Who gave you authority to do the things you do?" Jesus said
to them, "I will ask you a question, only one, and if you give me an
answer, then I will tell you what authority I have to act like this.
Was John's preaching and baptism a work of God, or was it merely
something human? Answer me." And they kept arguing among themselves,
"If we answer that it was a work of God, he will say: `Why then did
you not believe him?'" But neither could they answer before the people
that the baptism of John was merely something human, for everyone
regarded John as a prophet. So they answered Jesus, "We don't know,"
and Jesus said to them, "Neither will I tell you what authority I have
to act as I do."

REFLECTION
So many times in his public life, Jesus had been ridiculed.
Questioning his authority is just one of the many ways he was put to
public shame by the church authorities. Jesus was not one of them. He
was not a scholar, or born into aristocracy, and his parentage and
lineage were always the subject of talk.

Jesus never wanted attention or special treatment. Moreover he never
claimed authority for himself. He always spoke of doing his father's
mission. His main focus was seeking honor for his Father and not for
himself. He went about his work in a manner of simplicity and of
sincerity. He reached out tirelessly with love and compassion. These
seemingly ordinary ways of "preaching" endeared him to many and he was
able to put his message across by his acts of love and kindness.

There are times when we, too, question the authority of others. What
criteria do we have in judging people of authority? Then and even now,
we only listen to people of authority. But the truth is, everyone is
worth listening to, regardless of his background. Today let us strive
to listen to anyone who speaks to us and learn from him. Let us pray
fervently with faith and freedom and to acknowledge Jesus as the only
authority in our life. Let us allow Jesus to enter our lives and
answer all our doubts and anxieties.

Who is the authority in our lives now? What leads us to question
endlessly?

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the speedy recovery and healing of
- Lydia Pe
- Juday Pe
… for the personal intentions of
- Veronica Yap
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Marivikk Viñas
- In Memoriam (+): Simplicia V. Lim
… for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!

**************************************************

These reflections are distributed free and are for personal use only.
Feel free to send the Daily Prayer reflections to your friends,
colleagues and relatives; however, if you do, please include the
following:

+================================================+
| The Daily Prayer, a service and an apostolate of the
| priests, laity and friends of Mary the Queen Parish
| http://www.marythequeen.org
| Distributed free and for personal use only.
+================================================+

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GoogleGroup Address: http://groups.google.com/group/daily_homily
To subscribe from this free mailing service, send email to: dailyhomily@earthlink.net
To unsubscribe: daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2011 Daily-Homily


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?