Wednesday, May 13, 2009

 

THURSDAY 5TH WEEK OF EASTER

MAY 14, 2009
FEAST, MATTHIAS, APOSTOLE
THURSDAY 5TH WEEK OF EASTER – YEAR I

ACTS 1:15-17, 20-26
Peter stood up in the midst of the brothers and sisters (there was a
group of about one hundred and twenty persons in the one place). He
said, "My brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled
which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand through the mouth of David,
concerning Judas, who was the guide for those who arrested Jesus.
Judas was numbered among us and was allotted a share in this ministry.
For it is written in the Book of Psalms: Let his encampment become
desolate, and may no one dwell in it. and: May another take his
office. Therefore, it is necessary that one of the men who accompanied
us the whole time the Lord Jesus came and went among us, beginning
from the baptism of John until the day on which he was taken up from
us, become with us a witness to his resurrection." So they proposed
two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and
Matthias. Then they prayed, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all,
show which one of these two you have chosen to take the place in this
apostolic ministry from which Judas turned away to go to his own
place." Then they gave lots to them, and the lot fell upon Matthias,
and he was counted with the Eleven Apostles.

JOHN 15:9-17
Jesus said to his disciples: "As the Father loves me, so I also love
you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain
in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and remain in
his love. "I have told you this so that my joy might be in you and
your joy might be complete. This is my commandment: love one another
as I love you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's
life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command
you. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what
his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told
you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose
me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that
will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may
give you. This I command you: love one another."

REFLECTION
Jesus makes this very clear in today's Gospel reading when he says:
"You did not choose me, it was I who chose you." Our choice to follow
Jesus is important, but far more significant is his choice to be
committed to us. Jesus loves us with a love that is so committed, so
dedicated that it takes him to Calvary for us. Our lack of
faithfulness to him never changes his faithful love for us.

The life of St. Mathias, the saint whose feast we celebrate today,
also shows us that what matters most is the Lord's commitment to us.
In the first reading, Mathias was chosen to be one of the twelve
apostles after Jesus' death and resurrection. He was the replacement
for Judas who after betraying Jesus committed suicide. The Apostles
drew lots and he won. It was not exactly his decision. Mathias knew
that he had not decided to be one of the twelve. He had been chosen by
Jesus Christ.

We are all called and chosen by the Lord. He asks us to make a
commitment to him, but the commitment can only be a response to Jesus'
call. He has chosen us, and our whole life is to be a response of love
to that call. It is a bit like a wedding proposal. Jesus asks us,
invites us and proposes to us. He tells us that he loves us, and he
asks that we will love him in return.

Let us thank the Lord today for his invitation of love and for being
faithful. Let us also ask him for the grace to be really committed to
him. May all that we do be an act of love in gratitude for the love
that he keeps showering upon us.

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray …
… for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
… for the healing of:
- Sophia Gonzales
- Ester Marcelo
- Mylene Lingad
- Francis Torres
… for the safety of Johnson Cuiting
… for the speedy recovery of: Eligia Fernando
… for the special intentions: San Juan de Dios Hospital
… for the spiritual guidance and enlightenment:
- Dumaua families
- Curitana family
… for the personal intentions of Veronica Yap
… Birthday: Rolly Cheng
… for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- Birthday: Mila Cheng
- Birthday: Tita Alvarez
- In Memoriam (+): Antonio Ortiga (July 21, 1926-May 14, 2001)+
- In Memoriam (+): Norberto Santos
… for the healing and peace of all families

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our prayers
and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To subscribe email: dailyhomily@gmail.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
daily_homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

© 2009 Daily-Homily
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?