Friday, June 01, 2007

 

SATURDAY 8TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME

Advisory: Daily-Homily is back!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


JUNE 2, 2007
SATURDAY 8TH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME - YEAR I

SIRACH 51:12-20
He saved me from evil of every kind and preserved me in time of
trouble. For this reason I thank him and I praise him; I bless the
name of the LORD. When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom. She
came to me in her beauty, and until the end I will cultivate her. As
the blossoms yielded to ripening grapes, the heart's joy, My feet
kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar
with her. In the short time I paid heed, I met with great
instruction. Since in this way I have profited, I will give my
teacher grateful praise. I became resolutely devoted to her-- the
good I persistently strove for. I burned with desire for her, never
turning back. I became preoccupied with her, never weary of extolling
her. My hand opened her gate and I came to know her secrets. For her
I purified my hands; in cleanness I attained to her. At first
acquaintance with her, I gained understanding such that I will never
forsake her.

MARK 11:27-33
And they came again to Jerusalem. And as he was walking in the
temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to him,
and they said to him, "By what authority are you doing these things,
or who gave you this authority to do them?" Jesus said to them, "I
will ask you a question; answer me, and I will tell you by what
authority I do these things. Was the baptism of John from heaven or
from men? Answer me." And they argued with one another, "If we say,
`From heaven,' he will say, `Why then did you not believe him? But
shall we say, `From men?"--they were afraid of the people, for all
held that John was a real prophet. So they answered Jesus, "We do not
know." And Jesus said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what
authority I do these things."

REFLECTION
Members of the religious ruling class ask Jesus by what authority he
drove the buyers and sellers out of the Temple. They were hoping to
trap him. If he answers, "by my own authority," they will arrest him
for causing a disturbance in God's house. If he says, "by God's
authority," they will accuse him of blasphemy.

Jesus refuses to answer their question unless they first answer a
question he will put to them: "John's baptism, was it from heaven or
from man?" They hesitate to answer, for if they say "from heaven,"
the people will ask them why did they not believe in John? If they
answer, "from man," they fear the reaction of the people who had
great respect for John. The religious authorities refused to do what
they ought to have been doing, discerning what is from God and what
from man. They refused to do this, because they would have to admit
the truth.

People who refuse to face the truth, in the end get themselves in
very tight situations. Whatever they say, they will be denying the
truth. The person who faces the truth, however, will be asked to
take a stand in defense of the truth as he perceives it, and will,
therefore, have the honor of being very Christ-like. For Christ
lived by the truth and went to his death in defense of the truth. As
he had told others that the truth would make them free, so the truth
had set him free, had made him free to choose death rather than
falsehood, had made him free to rise again to new life.

PRAYER REQUESTS
We pray ...
.. for a deep and profound respect for life, especially for the
unborn.
.. for the safe trip and a new beginning for Mrs. Teresita Nunez Choa
.. for the personal intentions of Jasmin, Lydia and family, David,
Jenny and Cory, Corky, Ed and Irma Pastor, Sister Normita, DC,,- JDM
... for enlightenment and guidance of Gilda Ramos, Socorro
.. for the eternal repose of the souls of, Maria, Candido, Isidora,
Jovita, Alfonso, Alfonsa, Alipio, Alice Ty
Eternal rest grant unto them and may perpetual light shine upon them.
May they and all the souls of the dearly departed rest in peace.
.. for all the prayer intentions in the MTQ Dailyprayer Diary.
- In Memoriam (+): David Gan Sr. (1911-2003)
.. for world peace and reconciliation.

Finally, we pray for one another, for those who have asked our
prayers and for those who need our prayers the most.

Have a good day!


--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
Feel free to forward this to your friends, family and associates!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DAILY-HOMILY" group.
To subscribe email: dailyhomily@gmail.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Daily_Homily-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit: http://homily.dailyfoodforthought.org/

Feel free to forward this to your friends, family and associates!

(c) 2007 Daily-Homily
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?