Wednesday, June 15, 2005

 

LUKE 13:1-9

The parable at the end of today's gospel condemns, not those who commit positively sinful actions, but those who are given the opportunity to do good but refuse to do it.

The fig tree in the parable does not produce fruit and so its owner desires to cut it down, for, he says, "the tree is taking up the ground." It's using space and drawing moisture and nutrients from the soil, which another tree would use to produce fruit. The tree is not condemned because it's producing sour or poisonous fruit, but because it is not producing fruit at all.

Being a good Christian is not merely `not doing evil:' `I do not steal, murder or commit adultery, therefore I am a good Christian. God will not condemn me." Jesus corrects this misunderstanding in another parable. He pictures himself at the last judgment saying: "I was hungry and you gave me no food. I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, naked and you did not clothe me. Go away from me to the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

Jesus affirms this same truth in the parable in today's gospel: If the tree does not produce any fruit, it will be cut down.

With all the poverty and oppression about us, there is much need for doing good. Are we refusing to do the good we are being asked to do? The good we're capable of doing? Are we being truly Christian?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?